Historic Bed & Breakfast
In 1861 the land was deeded as a wedding gift to Dr. William Elijah Hunter. Dr. Hunter and his wife built a home, which unfortunately burned down in 1902. In 1905, it was rebuilt as a brick structure. The Hunter House became known to weary travelers and a place where Ma Harrell's fried chicken and yeast rolls were a delicacy wanted by all.
In 1915, Dr. Peter Wilkin purchased the home as a residence for his wife and ten children. Years later, it was bought by Mr. & Mrs. Bill Grow, who named the property "Grow Hotel". One of the hotel's tenants was "Miss" Ollie Sutton, who lived here for decades in Room #4. In 1992, Grow Hotel was purchased by the Historic Economic Revitalization Organization, and extensive renovation began.
The year 1994 brought abut the completion of renovations, and the Tarrer Inn was opened to the public as a bed & breakfast, with 12 individually decorated bedrooms, three dining areas, an upstairs veranda, and a walled courtyard area.
The Tarrer Inn is named in memory of Ruth Tarrer Jinks, wife of G.C. Jinks, Sr. Ruth was born in Ideal, Georgia on January 20, 1902 to Thomas Luther Tarrer and his wife, Opal Smith Tarrer. Her outstanding musical talent was recognized at an early age, and at 16 she accompanied a Methodist evangelist to Colquitt to play the piano and sing for a revival at the Methodist Church.
She attended Andrew College and on November 11, 1920 she married G.C. Jinks, Sr, who was asked by the Chief Bank Examiner to assist in the liquidation of the First National Bank of Colquitt. While he was here, he was offered a job at Citizen’s Bank by J.S. Bush, President. The family, which consisted of a new born daughter, moved to Colquitt in 1921.
Ruth Tarrer Jinks had an angelic voice and sang at most of the weddings and funerals in Colquitt for the next 50 years. She was a gifted musician in both piano and organ and played at Colquitt United Methodist Church for 60 years. Her love of flowers and gardening was evident in her beautiful yard around their home on Main Street. The first president of the Colquitt Garden Club, her flower arrangements using camellias from her abundant camellia bushes won many awards. Her beauty, charm and graciousness are reflected in the Southern hospitality of the Tarrer Inn.
Mr. G.C. Jinks Sr. was a prominent banker who eventually was elected bank president in by 1934. Under his management, the bank grew in assets and physical space. He remained in that position until his retirement in 1984. In 1973, Mr. Jinks became Chairman of the Board of the bank. He passed away in 1990, after contributing more than 65 years to the banking industry.
Shorty", as he was called, was very active in this community and, through his generosity, many colleges and charitable organizations benefited. In 1953, he charted the Ruth T. Jinks Foundation, Inc. in honor of his wife. The fruits of his labors, through the generous contributions by the Jinks Foundation, will have a lasting effect on the Colquitt community. The Jinks family proudly supports this foundation today.